Humanitarian Update, January 8, 2009
Thu., January 8, 2009
· IDF operations prevent ambulances from safely evacuating the wounded causing the injured to be stranded without medical care.
· Limited resources prevent the chronically ill from being treated.
· Coordination of emergency evacuations delayed or not functioning.
· Hospitals stretched to breaking point: Overflow of wounded cannot be
transferred to external medical centers.
· Distribution of medical supplies in jeopardy
WATER, SEWAGE & ELECTRICITY:
· More than half a million people cut off from water supply
· One million people without electricity
· More than 65% of Gaza’s electricity supply cut off
· Sewage flooding the streets
· Power plant closed since December 30 (no coordination for repairs)
DISTRIBUTION OF INDUSTRIAL DIESEL IN GAZA: THE REAL NUMBERS:
· Amount of industrial diesel that Israeli military claims was to be transferred to Gaza’s power plant today: "some 500,000 liters".
· Amount of industrial diesel actually transferred to the containers on the Gaza side of Nahal Oz today: 315,000 liters
· Amount of industrial diesel actually delivered to Gaza’s power plant as of 8 pm today: Zero liters (No coordination provided for safe delivery)
· Amount of industrial diesel needed for a single day of consumption by Gaza’s power plant (at maximum current capacity of 80 MW): 500,000 liters